- You’ve got a great idea for a book – it’s time to find out where that idea can take you. If you never try, you’ll never know.
- In this ‘use it or lose it world,’ writing is one of the best forms of exercise for your brain. In fact it is an activity that fully engages both sides of the brain – the right side for the more imaginative side of things and the left for the logical, vocabulary-sorting side. I call that win win.
- Sharing stories is as old as time and as satisfying as a cold drink on a hot day. Story-telling is particularly important because you are asking the reader to invest in your words and this in turn breeds empathy, which is a vital part of what makes us human and humane.
- Words are powerful – learning to use them well is a gift and a very useful skill.
- There is NOTHING more satisfying than creating a world, a character or a story from your brain and your brain alone. It is pure food for the soul.
- There is a chance that you might spark an idea, which becomes a book, which ends up as a movie, which brings you millions and a friendship with JK Rowling. It’s a small chance but writers need to dream.
- The world needs writers to interpret life, to find the truth and to share it. One of my readers told me that the characters in my books speak to her and for her – they represent her world and tell the truth about it. For me, that is a privilege and reminds me why writing is so important.
- It has hugely positive and far-reaching effects on your health, self-esteem and well-being. I discovered Creative Writing when I needed it most and can honestly say that it saved my sanity.
- Writing can be therapeutic – it can enable you to preserve memories, which would otherwise be lost, to purge yourself of certain feelings or just express emotion in a creative and liberating way.
- It’s fun! Writing for entertainment and pleasure is one of the best experiences in life and if your stories resonate with or amuse a reader, your work is done. Be proud and happy.
And if you live near to the Bromley area and fancy giving it a try, I have excellent news. I am running an Introduction to Creative Writing course this very autumn. Details as follows:
5th September – 10th October 2018
10.30 am – 12.30 pm
at Biggin Hill Library (https://www.better.org.uk/library/london/bromley/biggin-hill-library)
Cost: £ 149
E-mail: email@example.com for more information or to sign up
Grab your notebook and pen and meet me at the library!